Autumn Nail Care & Makeup Tips
For our October blog we have focused on Autumn Nail Care at home. We have also put together a video tutorial done by our very talented makeup artist Emillie, giving you an insight into her favourite autumnal work. Coming into colder months its very important we know how to look after our nails at home and keep them moisturised and healthy. The dry cold weather can impact our hands and nails, plus effect how long your Gel varnish lasts. We have put together a few do’s and don’ts for nail maintenance at home. Whether your nails are natural, have polish or gel varnish on or you have extensions. The same rules apply!
-Pick off your polish or fiddle with you nails too much. This can cause chips and damage to your natural nail.
– Don’t soak your nails in water for long period of time as this makes them softer and more likely to break/chip. Your nail bed is like a sponge and will absorb water.
– Remember your nails ‘Jewels not tools’, Don’t use your nails to open/turn things on/ avoid tapping your nails on hard surfaces etc. All of this can have an adverse effect on the health of your nails and how long your manicure lasts for.
-Use cuticle oil daily. Any form of cuticle oil will work well however we highly recommend Jessica’s Phenomen Oil which we use in all our professional nail treatments. It is an intense moisturising treatment that should be rubbed on the cuticle and around the nail bed. The best time to use it would be just before bed so it can work overnight. We sell retail sizes at the salon for only £9.50 and it should last you a few months at least.
– Have a nail file handy to file any chips or breakages evenly. This reduces the risk of you biting or fiddling with your nail and ripping it off too short.
– Use gloves when doing any washing up/housework/gardening etc. It will massively help keep your nails nicer for longer!
– Have your gel polish/extensions removed by a professional ONLY! This is very important as the removal method can seriously affect the quality of your natural nail underneath. Too much filing or drilling can cause damage. We sell ‘Soak Off Kits’ which you can purchase and take home to remove your gel polish at home with the correct product and tools. They are only £20 and the product will last 6-8 months if used often.
-Use a good hand moisturiser. Excessive washing can dry your hands and nails out. Coconut oil is a highly recommended option as a cheaper product that lasts a very long time as only a small amount is needed each time.
– Maintain a good manicure every 2-3 weeks to keep those hands and nails in tip top condition.
Please note: The same rules (mostly) can be applied to your feet and toenails. Pedicures however only need to be maintained every 6-8 weeks.
Diet is very important to maintaining healthy nails alongside many other things. Protein is crucial, as are omega-3 fatty acids. Your nails can have various characteristics that affects their health. Eating the right foods can help hugely with this.
– Vitamin B reduces brittleness
– Zinc gets rid of white spots
– Iron prevents ridges from forming
– Calcium keeps them strong
– Vitamins A and C prevents dullness and drying.
Drink plenty of water also to stay hydrated.
Autumn Makeup Tutorial by Emillie.
We have a few tips for Autumn Makeup:
– It’s very important when thinking about makeup in autumn to always ensure your skin is well hydrated BEFORE applying anything. When cooler months start to arrive it’s doubly as important to moisturise, moisture, moisturise! Doing so will allow your primer and foundation to spread more evenly across your skin without leaving any patchiness to the colour.
– We would all love to maintain our summer colour however your face will lose its colour the quickest. Come the change of season it’s important to get yourself a second shade of foundation matched to your current skin colour. There’s nothing worse than having a face colour completely miss-matched to the rest of your skin.
– Autumn is all about the sultry, darker hues. When it comes to lips and eyes you can wear them during the day as well as at night. During the day it is recommend to use lighter eye-shadow shades – think browns, golds, and yellows. For the night time darker colours such as purples, greys and blacks will help you get that beautiful, sexy look we all love.
Our favourite Product for beautiful skin this Autumn
This months blog we wanted to slowly introduce our beginning of autumn skincare tips. For meteorologists the official first day of autumn is the 1st September so what better way to get us into the autumn mood.
To start off with we wanted to let you know about a recent trial we did with skinade, which is a multi-award winning natural peach and mangosteen flavoured anti-ageing collagen drink. When purchasing products like this it is always a worry as to if they work? Do they genuinely make me feel and look better? Our salon owner Katie took up the opportunity by trialing it for a month. Skinade can be bought in a bottle form already mixed or a travel form which you mix with water at home-both forms have exactly the same efficiency. For skinade to be effective it needs to become part of your skincare regime. For best results, we recommend that you drink one bottle each morning before or with breakfast (5 days a week). We would advise avoiding caffeine 1hr each side of taking skinade as caffeine can hinder the absorption of the essential micronutrients and collagen. If you’re feeling tired during the course of the day, the B vitamins in skinade will give you a natural energy boost.
Compared to a tablet the liquid formula in skinade offers a huge advantage in terms of absorption rates. Skinade functions isotonically ensuring that our collagen peptides and essential micro-nutrients achieve an absorption rate of 90-95% – A level that can never be matched by tablets, or powders suspended in solution.
So how does it work? The class-leading, 2kDal patented hydrolysed marine collagen peptides used in skinade trigger fibroblast proliferation (firing up our natural collagen production) leading to increased skin thickness and therefore a reduction in fine lines and wrinkles. The hydrolysed marine collagen peptides also trigger the HAS2 receptors in the dermis which promotes the production of hyaluronic acid resulting in improved skin hydration. It also has six active ingredients that work synergistically to promote optimal skin function.
When I was asked to do the 30 day trial of Skinade I jumped at the chance. Having had a baby 9 weeks before my skin was dry, spotty and dull.
I drank Skinade Monday – Friday and none at the weekend.
I know to get the full effect it has to be a 12 week period but I honestly noticed the difference at just four weeks.
My skin wasn’t as dry, my spots calmed down and looked healthier.
I loved it!
X Katie X
As part of welcoming our new Makeup Artist Emillie on the team we also wanted to quickly give you a palette to achieve Soft Autumn looks. For more information on what Emillie can offer you and to read a bit more about her story please visit our ‘Meet the team’ Tab on our website.
We hope you have found this blog informative and helpful. Please do get in contact with us for more information on anything discussed. Skinade can be purchased in the salon.
xx Much Love xx